Thursday, July 8, 2010

week 27: canteen 82



in the molly yeh book of commonly kvetched about things,
there are three huge chapters:

1. idiots
2. lack of good restaurants on the upper west side
3. lack of good dim sum in manhattan

i recently discovered that two of these things
are defied by the new-ish-ly opened
 and since idiots will sadly always be an obstacle of life,
you may safely assume i am referring to numbers 2 and 3.
vibe was clean, sterile-y {in a good way}, and comfy
but more importantly, 
the food was magnificent! 
ok here it goes:

taro bubble tea
yes!
is bubble tea coming back by way of its hype being almost as vintage as 
saved by the bell swag?
probably not. 
but this place serves it shamelessly and i don't mind because it's dericious! 
really, if there's one flavor i'll ever favor over red velvet, it's taro.
scallion pancakes
exactly how a scallion pancake should be:
crispy on the outside
doughy on the inside
greasy enough to feel a little bad
but not bad enough to keep you from fighting over the last one with your date
sesame doodles
not their strongest point
in fact
not good.
i like my sesame noodles swimming in sauce a la empire szechuan
but these were... not....
pan pan buns
it's true.
frying things makes things better. 
#donutsarethenewcupcakes
...as if steamed buns weren't good enough already.
these might have been the highlight.
there was a bit more depth given to your typical steamed bun...
the crunchy fried bits on the outer edges were its way of playing hard to get.
that sassy minx. 
and the innards were supremely tasty, too.
everything worked well.
it was an unexpected and lovely surprise.
i love it.
soup dumplings
what drew me to canteen 82 in the first place.
the cool kids around school seem to talk about getting soup dumplings as if they're going to buy weed.
it's kind of only for those in the know,
invite only,
and you have to travel to the far places to get the best ones.
and i'll admit, i've been way too lazy to go to joe's shanghai. 
evs.
don't need to now.
canteen 82's were just fantastic.
even better than the ones i've had in chicago.
the soup actually tasted like soup- not watery goop we pretend is soup because we're too busy being excited about the concept of there being liquid in a dumpling.
really,
they were as tasty as the concept is cool.
{except i probably could have done with a bit of a thicker dough, 
as to not stress out about it breaking and having the soup fly everywhere except my mouth. really, it's a stressful situation. think: SAT II stressful}


stresses aside,
i'm so happy to have found 
incredible
fresh
dim sum
on the island
!!!!!!!!!!!!


ok how many am i at? 
25!
25 restaurants to go, ladies and gents.




xoxo




yeh




canteen 82 is on 82nd and columbus




 

28 comments:

Ashley said...

Can I please have a scallion pancake right now? That sounds so fantastic!

Brittany said...

I'm kind of curious to know how much of your monthly budget goes to food alone! :)

kidding..kinda.

You have the most fabulous meals, I've ever seen! My life is a turkey sandwhich in comparison. I'm talking wonderbread, off brand mayo, and oscar meyer!

pathetic! :)

Maybe one day, I'll be able to upgrade! until then, i'll continue to live vicariously through y-o-u!

Raquel said...

Your buns look super delicious. No homo, of course.

Have you tried Vanessa's Dumplings?

Jess Craig said...

i think i hate you a little bit for having such a cool life and getting to eat at all these super awesome places...

Maddy said...

oi! i want!

Kerri said...

canteen 82, how i wish u were in dallas right NOW

Nellalala said...

so happy to be chinese :) yum yum! BUBBLE TEA?! heck yeahh! :D

Dancing Branflake said...

Bobas!!!!! And anything fried is amazing!
I can't believe you dated a NYCB dancer!!!! Details!

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Sooooooo good. Girl, your blog rocks!! xo

Dree said...

Okay, my mouth is watering so badly right now!! Everything you pictured looks amazing, and what you didn't (the swimming in sauce sesame noodles) I am imagining as being incredible. Dude, I am going to have to hit up NYC.

Becca said...

Wow Molly, I love how passionate you are about food!
I agree with Brittany- my life of food, too, is rather like a bland turkey sandwich (that I happen to love, love, love) in comparison...so it's fun to read about yours.

And yes, donuts are the new cupcakes. Or scones. Or jeez, ANYTHING is the new cupcake, right? Ha ha

Frank said...

Those all looked delicious. I am curious to try the scallion pancakes and the soup dumplings. They all look so tasty! Wish I was close so I could go there. :(

Thanks for sharing!!

Alexis said...

Ooohhhh! I love soup dumplings! There's a place a couple of streets away from where I live that has them. When I don't know what I feel like for lunch and theres npthing cooked since im the only home (my dad at work or something) then I get and order or two and finish it all by myself. :D

Kimbirdy said...

ooo... i've been on a quest to find good dim sum. too bad i live on the opposite side of the country! :)

What About Lunch said...

Saved by the Bell swag, haha.
Great review!
Have a fun weekend!

What About Lunch said...

Btw, the husband is super excited to try my version of your ice cream sammiches.

Bu said...

You are hilarious!

Why do I come read your blog around lunch??? UGH... so hungry!!

OneCraftyFox said...

I simply cannot get enough TARO bubble tea!! Dim sum is the most awesome food in the world :)

Have a great weekend!

Sara Szatmary said...

A truly good dim-sum can make my day! Oh, who am I kidding? It would make my month.

chelsea rebecca said...

i can't handle the deliciousness that is in this post. truly i'm overwhelmed. i want everything in front of me right now!!

ALFIE said...

we have THE most amazing dim sum place here in Michigan. they are open till 3am and the food is fabulous. you've inspired me to take another trip there :)

as for bubble tea. well. it pretty much makes the world go round.

ALFIE said...

we have THE most amazing dim sum place here in Michigan. they are open till 3am and the food is fabulous. you've inspired me to take another trip there :)

as for bubble tea. well. it pretty much makes the world go round.

city girl said...

Oh how I looveeee scallion pancakes. Love! Especially when they're nice and crispy. The food looks awesome!

I'm gonna e-mail you later. If you're up for venturing over to Brooklyn, I have to bring you to Tanoreen (Mediterranean in Bay Ridge) or the Chip Shop (British in Park Slope). Both are awesome!

Anonymous said...

Your writing is so amazing..I can actually taste what you are describing! Perfect....Even the pictures aren't necessary, your words create the perfect picture in my mind.....George G.

Summer {Bisfor...} said...

thought i would mention that we are soul sisters. taro is my second fave next to red velvet too.

Christine said...

Thnx for commenting :)

wow the dimsum in canteen 82 looks more yummy! :D
Im getting hungry with all the food pics! :)

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site www.blogger.com
Is this possible?

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site www.mynameisyeh.com
Is this possible?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips