Friday, August 27, 2010

bánh mì at home


in life,
the best way to really screw yourself over,
is to realize your craving for bánh mì after you've boarded a plane to leave new york and go to illinois for a month.
{because apparently the deli counter at the jewel-osco has yet to experience this phenomenon. no offense}
but since mum and i have been crafty little minxes lately,
we made our own!!
we found this food network recipe,
schlepped to the super h market,
and only had mild conniption{s} when the request for vietnamese-style pork roll was met with confusion, speechlessness, and ultimately a recommendation to substitute it for corn dogs made from fish, or grutinous rice balls. 
whatever.
oscar meyer to the rescue.
and just like that, three more types of pork wiggled their way into our house...
and legit bánh mìs were accomplished!!
these were really, really, go-to-the-back-of-a-jewelry-store {r.i.p} legit ...crises averted.
so, if your bánh mì depot is nonexistent, get your paws on some daikon and make these!


xoxo


yeh

15 comments:

Jody said...

The photos are so amazing! They look so delicious!

Anna Walker said...

Looks delicious! And I was already hungry too! :)

http://annawalker1992.blogspot.com/

Dancing Branflake said...

It's amazing that I eat pho every week but never have tried that amazing sandwich. Must need to eat that soon though!

Holly Knitlightly said...

Can I come over to eat? Pretty please?

Sara said...

BANH MI IS THE SHIIIIIIIT! I'm making some homemade ones on Monday, I'm pretty pumped. Except I think I'm going to be lame and use turkey meatballs. So I guess they can't be fully banh mi, only like..60%.

thelayeredpancake said...

this looks amazing.....i am trying a diet, damn you.

Katy Mary said...

yum! this looks so good!

Olya said...

hello there:)
thanks for stopping by my blog!
please follow if you found something interesting to you:)
XOXO. Olya

www.theate-olya.blogspot.com

p.s. this post has made me very hungry! lol

Matthew said...

feed me this plz

Signe said...

Whoa, that looks tasty! I would not mind one of those for breakfast :)

Becca said...

You eat some of the most foreign food :)

Meghan said...

I love that you and your mama have all of these amazing foodie adventures together! Congrats on a successful creation!

Michelle Elaine said...

how nom is vietnamese food? hehe so happy im half! i actually had a banh mi for lunch today too!

KeepItFvncy,
M.E.

v a m p i r e said...

can u hear my poor tummy growling ? lol

The Simply Luxurious Life said...

A girl who loves food and dogs - you're my kind of girl. Thanks for stopping by this past weekend. I hope your week is off to a great start!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips