Saturday, August 14, 2010

week 32: addis abeba


my knowledge of ethiopia is:
which is in fact no knowledge at all.
{but it's funny. watch this}
so i took it upon myself to learn more.
or rather,
mum made me.
she woke me up yesterday at the wee wee hour of noon and said,
if you're not ready in fifteen minutes to go eat ethiopian food with me and stoopie and marshy, you're starving.
here it is. 
{oh and that's stoopie imitating something}
evanston's finest ethiopian.
cool.
awesome.
i want a bagel.

instead i got a deconstructed plate of what happens the day after you go to chola and then sing karaoke. 
and a plate of shamwows {they were sour and made me want to vom}
but they made good masks.
marshy and mum and stoop seemed to be enjoying themselves.
and everybody talks about how awesome ethiopian food is.
but i thought this experience was more reminiscent of those family friend dinners you're dragged to when you're five and you spend the entire time sitting impatiently until your parents finally decide to leave so that you can beg them to go to burger king or mcdonalds or, for heaven's sake, 
can they just make you a giant bowl of oatmeal?
am i missing something?

maybe i need to try it again when i haven't just gotten out of bed...
and go to a place that's not puketastic...
sighhh.
20 to go.


xoxo


yeh



addis abeba is on chicago ave in evanston.
around the corner from will's old apartment.




23 comments:

Jess said...

Haha nothing worse than a bad restaurant experience. I can't say the food looks all that appetising.

jackiek said...

this is hilarious!
i've never tried ethiopian food- and i really have no desire to try it either! bagels are my preferred breakfast. even at noon.

Amanda said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! :) I've only had Ethiopian food a couple of times, in Washington DC. It was really REALLY good :) But I imagine it really depends on where you go.

Raquel said...

I fkn loled at your ethiopian knowledge LOL. You just completely turned me off to ehtiopian food. When I was in DC there were restaurants everywhere and I was intrigued but had no time. Sour shamwows? Ech.

Yes, I'm moving to NY! But in May. So close yet so so far.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

What happen to books ? You actually claim to learn about Ethiopians from TV.

Sara said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
StephanieTJLee said...

Aw I'm sorry you had a bad time with Ethopian food :( BUT HEY, that photo of you in front of the resturant is absolutely ADORABLE :)!

Anonymous said...

There is a lot of wonderful, delicious Ethiopian food out there. Don't give up on it because of one bad experience..K?

DT ~ RDH said...

I've actually been wanting to visit the Ethiopian place in town and check it out, but that weird flat thing (aka the mask) sounds and looks really bad...
now I'm skerd! What on earth is the other stuff?

jamie-lee said...

I've actually never tried ethiopian food although I would love to. perhaps you didn't enjoy it because you aren't used to it, I know that my parents are intolerant of eating foods from other cultures (we are greek) because they dislike the taste since it isn't normal to them.

http://pagesixxx.blogspot.com

Becca said...

ha ha ha! I love that you were so honest about this crappy restaurant. Sorry it sucked!

Regan said...

Thats too bad!! I think we've all had those expiriences at one point or another! xoxo

Spence. said...

Thanks for your comment - this sounds like a really cool blog idea!
I always end up craving either chips or pancakes when I've been out for a terrible meal ;)

ChristineMarie said...

OKAY you just went to a bad restaurant. Promise. Come to Arizona and I will take you to a fantastic Ethiopian place.

chelsea rebecca said...

hahah this is too funny!
1st off, that south park sketch is hysterical. i've seen it before when i was hanging out with my guy friends and i hate to admit.. i laughed!
also ethiopian food was the challenge on top chef this week! craziness!!
bummer about the bad food though. thats no good! but that mask picture was worth it all!
you definitely deserve a giant bowl of oatmeal!!

AmyK said...

I've definitely never had ethiopian food. But by your description (and the pictures) it doesn't sound like I'm missing out on much :/
I'll stick with my cheeseburgers.

Stefani said...

Aside from the fact that Ethiopian food gives me terrible indigestion, I love it! You at least have to go for the experience :)

Molly said...

I have had really good Ethiopian food before, so I know it's possible. But, I'm so sorry for your "puketastic" experience. blech.

Holly Knitlightly said...

Hahaha you crack me up!

Yoshiyuki Mukudai said...

Tell my gratitude to Marsha! She was so nice to me when I met her. (and you were only a little child.)

Mae said...

Check out Ras Dashen on N. Broadway for the very best Ethiopian food in Chicago!!!

quinn said...

just because you don't like the food, doesn't mean you should make fun of it. ie., make a mask out of it.

that being said, ethiopian food for breakfast is a bad idea.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips