Saturday, August 21, 2010

week 33: xoco



at home
in the suburbs
there are not so many places to eat.
there's the steak n shake {which is really embarrassing to be seen in if you're older than 17}
and there's mum's kitchen {which is quite yummy... but has never seen pork}
and so on the occasion,
we make a voyage to the city to try out whatzbingoinon in the chicago foods scene.
an hour of traffic and minimal driving-induced panicking by mum got us to
the newish restaurant by chicago's greatest goateed celeb chef, rick bayless
home to a zillion kinds of local/organic/bougey tortas. 
hot out of a woodburning oven.

{hallelujah! tortas are my fave!!! but does this mean i'm cheating on my beloved taco truck??}

after a batman-ride-at-six-flags-sized line,
victory was had and guacamole was in our tummies 
it was maybe the best damned guacamole i ever had, but shh don't tell stoop... she's the family guacamole maker
and tortas were ready to be eaten! yay yipee!! 

stoopie got a piggy torta with beans, pink pickled onions, and habanero salsa {which came with a nice little lecture about how we should proceed with caution}
and mum got chickens with beans and avocados.
while they really didn't resemble their taco truck brethren, 
they were quite tasty!
everything was really fresh and seazonedgood and mum/stoop seemed to enjoy them lots and lots!
however the crustiness of it all made me miss the soft white bread that made me fall in love with tortas in the first place.
...which is why it was a good thing that i got a griddle torta instead of the wood-fired ones that mum and stoop got.
this was on a softer white bread and was filled with
 prosciutto, beans, avocado, 
and 
chipotle mustard <--- hell yeah that's what swayed me.

it was like a really really scrumptious* panini.
it wasn't anything at all like the tortas i've had.
but it was good...
even though half way through i had to extract some of the prosciutto because i was on salt overload. 
but do you know how good an avocado and chipotle mustard sandwich is?! 
really good, apparently. 

*what the thesaurus in my head recommended after "tasty" was overused


dessert was a churro + vanilla soft serve
the churros in my elementary school's cafeteria < this churro < county fair churros
closer in goodness to the county fair churros. 
but, i mean, you all know that i'm a doughy food kind of gal. 
these were light and airy... good if you like that kind of thing. 


but the bottom line is:

where's the horchata, mr. bayless?!
wtf?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i will wait on that line again if and only if that dude makes a horchata. and can it be boozey.

xoco is good. 
just bring snackees for the line, as to not cause a scene when you throw a hungry tantrum.

...19 restaurants to go. omg i'm in the teens!!



xoxo


yeh



xoco is in the chicago loop. 
and because chicago's streets aren't numbered, i have no idea how to direct you there.
UPDATE: the website says it's on north clark and illinois. but that don't mean nuthin to me.



29 comments:

Jody said...

Looks so yummy!

elle said...

Looks and sounds amazing! I totally thought of you (and your blog) last night. My boyfriend and I went to a $200 dinner (we won it!) at this incredibly restaurant (nine18)...you would have remembered to take photos!

Sara said...

CHURROSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not a Paper Cup said...

So cute...and the food looks amazing! :)

Becca said...

MMMmmmmmm. The crusty little sandwichy things look really yummy- uhh, scrumptious. Everything does!

Dree said...

Whoa. This looks SO good. I literallly went through the pictures one by one because the food looks incredible.

It doesn't help that this post came right after a discussion and then realisation that my town only has craptastic restaurants. Want to switch places? ;)

Raquel said...

You mean you didn't try the maple pecan bacon streusel with salted caramel sauce?!? NoooOOoooOooooOoo.

You make me want a sister so I can make her go eat with me. Except my sister wouldn't be as cool to be on the food network so can I have yours?

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

I want what you're having please!

Coté Provence said...

What a lovely blog YOU have.. and thank you for visiting mine and leaving me such a sweet comment.

BTW,... I love Churro!

Holly Knitlightly said...

Ahhhhhhhhh, why couldn't you have found this place BEFORE I went to Chicago, not after?! I wanna gooooooooo! Haha. I may need to make the 7+ hour road trip to Chicago just to go to this place. You've sold me, haha!

Meghan said...

Umm, someday, we must meet because I live right around the corner! XOCO is super duper fantastic - did you see Rick while you were there???

kittycat said...

i don't think i've ever had a churro in my life...i need to.

Jana said...

Thank you for visiting my blog. I´m following yours now, because as a nutritionist I love reading about food and your blog is really cute!

la petite coquine said...

That soft serve-I'm in heaven! I'm loving your blog, and it's a pleasure getting to know you a bit better!

Brandi said...

This place looks amazing. I'm only jealous I can't jump in my car right now and drive there for lunch. I love that they get their ingredients from so many local places -- that just makes the food taste that much better.

Tamara Nicole said...

Looks like fun!!! I just went to Barrio, similar food and yum yum:-)

Mighty Burns said...

Ummm I wish I had ice cream right now. That all looks so good!

Wild and Precious said...

love horchata! love churros... there is one jealous girl over here!!

great post. lovely photos!
xo

Punctuation Mark said...

gotta love Mr. Bayless... great food and also good for you... yum!!!

Lisa Lisa Lisa said...

I just love Chicago and the best thing about the city is the FOOOOOD (the second best thing being the shopping).

Thanks for the sweet comment. I look forward to getting to know your blog better.

OneCraftyFox said...

Every time I come here, I'm suddenly hungry!!

I just wanted to let you know I have a Polyvore Challenge on my blog - - the grand prize is a $1,000 Visa Gift Certificate!! We could all use a little extra cash, right? So get over here and win it, lol :)

chelsea rebecca said...

I LOVE RICK BAYLESS!!
i watched him on top chef masters and was rooting for him. he is just so sweet. and how awesome that you went to his restaurant. i'm about to buy a plane ticket to chicago just for one of those churros... haha!

Allison @ I heart Change said...

That looks so good. Those drinks at the beginning look awesome too. I'm going to try making that watermelon one at home. BC no way am I going to find that at a restaurant here!

Erika ~TiptoeButterfly~ said...

steak and shake - OMG i miss that place!!! - we don't have them in Jersey and when i went to college in FL i though it was THE best ever - hahaha ..

that churro looks INSANE!

What About Lunch said...

"batman-ride-at-six-flags-sized line" HAHA! What a perfect word picture.
You crack me up no end!

v a m p i r e said...

the hisbiscus and lemongrass drink sounds so refreshing ! wow your blog has loadsa wonderful photos

creation said...

Hello Yeh,
its nice to meet over here in your blogville.
i happened to come across and loved reding your foody posts.
have a happy time and do visit me as and when you can ,
U am Rachana , from India ,and my name means ' creation '.
greetings
Rach

Mo Pie, Please said...

You're the only person I "know" who has been here, so I'm glad to have found you in the blogosphere and read this review! What a lovely blog you have and great pictures! I look forward to reading more!

Helen said...

I've been wanting to go here after seeing it on The Cooking Channel. I want the churros with ice cream!

p.s. Have you had the ones with Mexican hot chocolate at Five Points? Amazing)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips