Saturday, August 28, 2010

week 34: los huaraches




i'm proud. so proud of my little neighborhood.
all of the dry-cleaners and the gas stations and the juicy couture are officially worth enduring for this itsy-bitsy place i stumbled upon a few days ago:
i don't know a thing about it.
i don't know when it opened...
it's sort of dumpy,
but  if there's anything new york has taught me besides how to sweet talk my corner pastry stand guy into giving me a free donut,
it's to embrace the little dumpy places!
so mum and i did just that and gorged on tortas that picked us up right where xoco's left off last week.
we got a 
hawaiian torta
pineapples, ham, cheese, avocados, mayo{?}, jalapenos, tomaters, and onions
and a
chickens torta
chickens {cluck cluck}, avocado, tomaters, onions, jalapenos, beans {?}, mayo {?}, and no cheese {sad pandas sad pandas}
and girls, this is what a torta should be.
i apologize for not confirming the localness of the chickens,
but how can you say no to pillow soft, buttery, almost focaccia-y bread?
and omg. hawaiian torta. it really is as good as it sounds. for a fruit that sort of freaked the begeezies out of me until a few months ago, pineapple is kind of winning.
maybe the taco truck outside of my apartment will let me pitch this idea to them.
and
of course:
horchata
horchata!
my fave! with overtones of bubblicious that almost had the marshmallow peep effect, but a horchata nonethefewer.
...
well by gum. this place. it's oggle-worthy. who knew a torta of this caliber could be found out here in the stix?
it's like glenda the good witch's magical bubble just appeared out of nowhere and then burst open with magic and pink and beans. and everyone is gleeful. 
and lunch is fun again.

...18 to go, seƱor sillies!

xoxo


yeh


los huaraches is on milwaukee, a bit north of lake. in the north suburbs of chicago!

36 comments:

bebe bird beck said...

Oh goodness, YOU are adorable and you just made me terribly hungry.
yummmm.

Raquel said...

You're so cute, crazy eyes!

Your mom is rad for going on all your adventures.

Rachael said...

Yay! Embrace the dumpy places! You're a smart cookie. I'm a vegetarian and yet, those look yummy! And you have such beautiful eyes!

Becca said...

Yeah Molly, you really are so cute. And the sandwich-type food you've been eating looks yummy yummy yummy!

Annie Hart said...

You are not allowed to call north chicago the stix. I'm in fucking Portland, Texas.

Annie Hart said...

Also, i don't know why my google account thinks my name is annie. I think she and i should have a talk about that one...

Dancing Branflake said...

I always knew I could count on you to make me hungry. Yum!

Sofia in Mexico said...

Please do pitch thw pineapple idea to your local taco truck. Pineapple is mandatory on any taco that dares to ostentate the status of a real "taco al pastor" in Mexico. (Tacos al pastor, which could be roughly translated as shepherd's tacos) are the typical orange-y dry rubbed pork tacos that are so famous in Mexico. The pineapple will be the finishing touch to a taco fashioned by the pork meat on a soft fresh maize tortilla, chopped onion and cilantro and a few drops of lime.
Note: fresh pineapple instead of canned. YUM.

jamie-lee said...

you're such a cutie! love the photo :) and that food looks delicious x

http://pagesixxx.blogspot.com/

Gina said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! that sounds sooo good! too bad i'm not in chicago...

p.s love the picture! :)

Regan said...

Yumm. I am loving your blog!!

Chris Thompson said...

'lildumpy ftw! Screw the Booj

kid. said...

mmm, i recently became a torta-a-holic. thank god i live in pilsen (southwest 'hood of chicago) and they are all over the place.

elle said...

Molly! Your blog makes me consider being an omnivore again every time I read it.

You make me smile!

P o o p e r said...

You are too funny! :D I love reading your posts, and man that looks so tasty!

Kaitlyn said...

yuuummmmm. share? ;)

la petite coquine said...

Molly, I love reading about your eating adventures! This torta looks amazing, and now I'm drooling at work!

lucy and sarah said...

Oh yum! is that like a pulled pork? Oh, and do you like your enchiladas on corn tortillas or flour?

molly said...

This looks excellent! But its Hawaiian?

Katie said...

Hi Molly! Thanks so much for your comment and the well wishes ... Hope you'll stop by my little piece of the web again sometime soon. :) Love what you've got going on here, as well!

Callie Grayson said...

these look absolutely delish! I will have to make a trip up that way to try them! the hawaiian torta looks really really good!
thanks for stopping by my blog, see you again soon!
xx
callie

upatreecupatea said...

This looks delicious! Yummmy!

Gorgeous Clara said...

mmmm

that food looks delicious

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

You're keepin' it real, girl. Or should that be gal? I never know.

DT ~ RDH said...

STARVING!! must find mexican hole in the wall, stat.

Anna said...

That looks SO yummy!

Brittany said...

why oh why do you do this to my taste buds.

they say they hate you and envy your taste buds.

but I love you so thats all that matters

you're as adorable as ever, obviously!

Brittany said...

why oh why do you do this to my taste buds.

they say they hate you and envy your taste buds.

but I love you so thats all that matters

you're as adorable as ever, obviously!

Life As I Show It said...

Super cute blog. Thanks for commenting on mine!

Life As I Show It said...

Super cute blog. Thanks for commenting on mine!

Ruta, Look Ugly in a Photograph said...

Yum! That food looks incredible tasty. I love these photos. The tone is so calming.

Kara said...

Yum-o! I love hole in the wall Mexican food places. They're 1 in a zillion here in Phoenix.

That being said, I'm fairly new to the torta and still trying to decide how I feel about it. I think I need to give em another try.

chelsea rebecca said...

I LOVE DUMPY RESTAURANTS! especially when its mexican cuisine. they are all about taste and don't bother about the outside. and i love it!

jewel said...

GOT TO LOVE LUNCH
i'm so hungry now!
thank you for your comment :)
x x x

J-Diggety said...

You are so cute!! I love that pic of you digging into that torta! :) And I just read your "about" section... I spend most of my money on food, too!

Thanks for stopping by and saying hi on my blog last week :)

xoxo J

rachel! said...

Horchatas!! I want to try one. That little place looks delicious. what a great find!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips