Thursday, September 30, 2010

week 39: tehuitzingo


not that i'm too much of a gossip girl,
but i do lovvvve a good secret.
{secret passages, secret forts, secret burger joints...}
is the first secret mexican place i've been to.
it reminded me of the time my friend took me to a gross, broken down bodega in boston: he told me to walk directly towards the vending machine in the back of the store, and as i was about to chicken out for fear of smashing my nose, the vending machine slid to the side and tout à coup i was standing in the biggest, most luxurious sneaker store i ever did see...
tehuitzingo doesn't have a secret vending machine door, but it does just appear to be an itsy bitsy snackee store in the outskirts of hell's kitchen. {one that i probably wouldn't have gone to, had a tipster not told me about the secret in the back}. after squeezing past some pastries and piles of mexican candy that look like they're about to avalanche on your head, a wooden man welcomes you to a space with counters in the back. and there you are... sitting in a green-lit nook that's reminiscent of the jungle gym from your youth. a half-door at the back is where the cook takes orders...
and of course i got a torta.
{chickens}
as i waited, some music came on via the jukebox {hey, my jungle gym didn't have a juke box! no fair!}
and when i finally stopped giggling from being in the secret world, i gobbled up my torta, no mess. it was heavy on the lettuce and avocado which made me feel good cause i was getting my recommended daily amount of vegetables. i think. 
the bread was a bit crispy, and held its junk in real good.
the horchata was non existent :-( but, i mean, what can you do with four square-feet of space? 
mirrors on the walls made the space, and my rump look bigger {maybe it wasn't the mirrors...}
dessert was this cutie patootie from the front of the store!
it was like the inside of a milka egg. and equally as importantly, it came with a little plastic spoon. teehee.

it was a very scrumptious and mischievous meal indeed.
i will be back!
but first...
i've got 13 more restaurants to go!!


xoxo

yeh

tehuitzingo is on 47th and 10th

11 comments:

Donny said...

you know about this latin food place in a freight elevator on 38th st? hm?

ema.leigh said...

ummm, hi. I miss you in my life. But I've already fixed that by coming back to the blogging world. Still love you and still find you JUST as charming. xo

Dancing Branflake said...

That looks so good! And seriously, take me to that shoe store!!!

daisychain said...

send that dessert my way.

la petite coquine said...

A magical, hidden shoe store? A secret Mexican joint? Your New York life is just too glamorous.

Barbara said...

wow a secret restaurant! how amazing is that?!

Anonymous said...

Hey Molly!
Sam's mom here, he told me about your blog! What a charmed life you lead...
Comment vas-tu? How is the French going?
Hope to see you in the orchestra concert Monday. Cannot believe you guys are seniors...Makes me a little weepy (not really)!
Sara

Rosie Unknown said...

It sounds amazing! I will have to start trying to find secret places too :)

DT ~ RDH said...

Secret restaurant adventure ~ sounds like a fabulous day!!!!

Jude said...

Hooray, another restaurant adventure down! Thanks so much for sharing this goodness (and touch of NYC) with us :)

Anonymous said...

r u for real? how many ppl actually belive this?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips